Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The brand new auditorium at Orem High

I have been waiting for months for the new auditorium to be completed enough that the fire marshal would let me come in and see where I would be able to have the concert. I have awaited this day with great anticipation. Mr. Keyes said the stage would fit 100 cellos and that I had to see. I had been emailing Mr. Keyes for several weeks and we arranged the second Monday in July at 10:30 am. I asked my husband Evan and my son Riley to come with us because I knew that my future time in the auditorium would be limited with all that still needed completed, so I knew I needed to be organized and have as much information collected while there as possible. I do not know very much about sound and lighting and wanted to make sure I had family there who knew about that so we could have the most benefit. I remember entering the main area of the High school and walking down the hall to the music rooms. This is a huge school.



We met Mr. Keyes in his office and asked questions like how many cellos can I amp, how many voice microphones would be available, how much creativity with lights for my rock and roll number, how the fog machine exactly works, who I hire for sound and lighting technician etc. Then he showed us the auditorium. It was seriously breathtaking!



The auditorium was amazing and the stage huge. The actual opening to the stage was blocked off so as they finished the wood floors, the dust wouldn't spread to the chairs etc. Evan and Riley measured the opening so we know what kind of spacing we have for some of the choreography.



They also measured the pit that will be covered with a floor so we have more room. It is huge. We have good space. He showed us the bathrooms that have dressing areas with entrances to the stage, entrance area of those coming. I needed a wall area to put the pictures of the stars of my show on. I have 2 walls that are options. One in the large foyer area and one the wall just as they enter the auditorium.

I asked him if we could have like a cast party at the end. He said we could in the big lobby area and that the building closes at 10:00. The concert goes from 7:00- 8:30 so that works fine.


We then went back stage. They were laying the flooring so all we could do was look through the entrance from where the cellos would enter.



I had goosebumps today experiencing such an amazing auditorium. I think God blessed me to have the desire to have it hear, so it could be all that it could be. I hope I get it on film watching all the cello players eyes when they see where they get to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment