Saturday, March 27, 2010

Needing to find a new location for rehearsals

I have been using a room at the Orem City government offices because Orem High is in transition. I have a few more things left there, but got a call from Dawnie the Orem City managers executive assistant telling me that the room I was using was no longer available. A pipe had frozen, broken and flooded the room. She said the everyone scheduled to use it would need to find a new place, that their was going to be some construction going on for a while.

This caused me stress because I had a lot of cellos coming to a rehearsal in a few days and I have learned from previous experiences that when you cancel things at the beginning, it is hard to get the momentum back up so that was not an option to me to cancel the rehearsal. I had to find a new place. As I was brainstorming, I only had one idea come. I started thinking about asking a High School teacher that I had met with their cellists. Perhaps they would let me use their room this time in a crunch. I didn't really like the idea because, I didn't really want my problem to become any orchestra teacher's problem. They would have to be there with us. I just didn't want to ask any more of them. I did have one teacher who was super supportive and her school was in Orem and the location couldn't of been any better, just off a freeway exit. I decided to email her and was so delighted with her response. She told me of course I could use her room, that it would be free during the Tuesday and Thursday rehearsals from 3:30-5:30 but that I did need to run in by the assistant principal just to make sure. I emailed him immediately and didn't hear back. I was under a time crunch so I sent another email. He responded back to me that I couldn't use the room in the evening. I thought for sure that he had missed my time request for the afternoon and so I emailed him back the correct time again. He emailed me back this time telling me that the choir and band rooms were not available those nights. By this time, I was about to scream. He must of been so busy he was skimming my messages. I found myself ticked off at him because I knew that the "orchestra room" was available, the teacher whose room it was, told me it was. I also was so frustrated that I needed the afternoon and he told it was busy at night. Aaargh. I wondered if I was getting the run around, but decided that he was just a busy assistant principal with everything going on the end of school and to let go of that place. I was really frustrated though, because of what the teacher had told me about it being available, that I didn't look at other places and with waiting for the man to get back to me, I was know hurting for time to find a location.

I made a lot of phone calls and couldn't find one opening. Things were booked up already with this short of notice. I knelt by my bed and told God that I had explored everything I could think of and that I needed His help. A few hours later, I told Evan that I needed to go for a drive. I drove down State Street in Orem just hoping something would jump out at me. As I was driving, I had an impression to go to a music store that I had purchased some music at. I remembered they had a recital hall. I drove there and asked them, but they were booked already for the times that I needed, but I did find out that they were willing to let any of my groups rehearse there for free the rest of the year. Wow! That ended up being a major blessing. They told me about a few other places to check, but they were not really good options to me, but I was grateful for their offerings. As I was driving home, I drove slowly, just looking at every store, every building. As I was turning off State Street onto the street that takes you to my house, I passed the library. I had an impression come to me that they had a room in the basement of the library near the media center that could work. I turned my car around and went and asked. The man told me that it was not an option. That the room was used for library use only. My nature is to accept that kind of answer and move on, but for some reason that day, I pressed him a bit. He kept telling me the same thing, but I just kept on it for some reason. The man finally wrote down the name of the Library director and told me I could ask her. When I received the piece of paper with her name on it, I had goosebumps. I knew the person from many many years ago. I had no idea she had been promoted to the library director. I went directly to her office, we hugged and told her my situation and though she said this was not normal, that she would gladly help me out. She told me I could use that room or another idea she had. In the story telling wing of the library, there is an area where we could rehearse. I liked it better and she scheduled me for the month of June. She also asked if any of my groups would perform at the library on one of the nights they do that in the future. I said of course. I took all my smaller groups after the first date over to the music store recital hall, but kept my big group here since the recital hall wouldn't fit them all. Wow, when one door closes, amazing doors open. The really neat part was that the library is right next door to the Orem City offices where we were originally scheduled. The reason that was so awesome is that people coming from all over the county, already knew this area. God is watchful over our needs. I acknowledge His hand in this because I was I had exhausted my own resources..... literally. He truly blessed my dream to continue moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment