Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sharing the cello experience with children





My largest group practices at the Orem Library. One rehearsal, a group of preschool age children came to where we were practicing and sat on the floor in the back and listened. I remembered that group of High School students who came and showed me their instruments when I was in fourth grade and felt like we needed to take a few minutes and let these little ones experience the cello. We were into the rehearsal only about 45 minutes and we had much to do still, so I went back to their teacher and invited all the children to sit right up front facing the cellists. They sat and listened to us practice about 45 minutes. I couldn't believe they just sat there. They were very interested, it was awesome. Then, at one point, only the group of cellists doing the rhythm needed to work out a part of the music so the other cellists offered to let each child that wanted to, come and play their cellos. I was really moved watching this. It was wonderful watching the cellists work with children, and wonderful watching children have that experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment