Saturday, March 27, 2010

Let the challenges begin......

Group rehearsals began and with the first one in each group, there was excitement. Having been in adulthood with experience under the belt and having raised 2 teenage boys, I had some anxiety about what the summer would bring. I knew that now that the rubber was hitting the road, like the fun and excitement of the dream of the concert would connect now with the reality of all the work required to pull it off. I knew coming to Orem to rehearsals, getting them to practice their parts, working through the bugs of the music etc. would not be the fun part and I waited to watch what all this put together was going to unfold. I have to tell you that often I had knots in my stomach sometimes everyday waiting to see what might go wrong. Little things started too, like, rehearsals and summer schedules made it a challenge scheduling times the entire groups could meet, at times group leaders didn't do their reminder contacts so attendance was small and at times canceled. Some rehearsals we had missing cellos, music stands, and even music. I also realized that I had another learning curve. I had thought that I could get the groups started and then let them do their thing. I realized only after 2 rehearsals that leadership was needed. I started attending every single rehearsal and will continue until all the baics are in place. I also realized that some of the kids needed help with the counting, fingerings and high notes. I soon realized that parts that were challenging were okay for kids in private lessons, but other kids needed help. I found myself needed to learn almost all the cello parts and then teaching some kids one on one so the group could move forward faster since we only have the summer to really get the music learned and do some choreography. I had planned using the spring to get all the cellos and get them auditioned and in groups and ready to go. Then the summer for me to get all of my personal parts for the program ready to go. The fall to get the entire large orchestra moving forward and then January - March to fine tune everything. I am so glad I started this early. We are going to need it. And though, I at times get nervous that this might all fall apart........... mostly, I feel positive and happy and joyful that this is going to be an amazing experience. I try to remember the big picture and it excites me. I try to remember how amazing these cello players are and how sitting next to them playing, I feel so blessed to have such amazing cello players to do this with. I also try to remember their words to be about how excited they are to be in this. I know that cellists are not given many opportunities to add this whole creative element to their playing, I know that this is offering opportunities that will enhance their musical experience in their lives. I know to stay positive, to be uplifting and building, yet let others know my expectations in a kind and caring way. I also pray that God will help see and do what I may be lacking in for it is a great responsibility to associate with others and to have them commit some of their valuable time away from their own goals, dreams, families and lives. My only wish is that this is an uplifting and edifying experience for those that participate. What's the next big challenge, I don't know. But we'll make it through each one, one step at a time if we need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment