Wednesday, April 28, 2010



CREATING THE DREAM

WHERE to have the concert?

When I first decided I was going to do this, I really wanted to do it in Cedar City, Utah at the college. Southern Utah State College (now SUU) was my Alma Mater and the school that gave me a lot of really amazing opportunities with my cello. This is the music building there that I spent many many hours in.


I emailed the Music Department Head and his response back was so gracious. He said, "We would love to have an all cello concert here from an alumni student." He then forwarded me to the person over the orchestra and told us that they would be happy to help with anything I needed to help make it happen there.

I realized through several further emails that I might not be able to get enough cellos down there. I also realized that as I had been working more on the bigger picture that I would be making many trips down and with a four year old who isn't a good traveler and I decided it might be better to do it closer to home first, and maybe take it down there at a later time. The final decision came after talking with a friend who asked me if it was more important the location or the amount of cellos. I decided that the dream- which included the amount of cellos was more important than location.


I started looking for a location here locally. When I found out that the new Orem High School by my house would be completed by the fall of 2010, I REALLY wanted to have it there in the new auditorium. I didn't know if I could have it there, but I had to try! I decided that if that was my first choice that I better find out who to contact. I at first thought I would contact the principal, but could never seem to get it done. So frustrating to have that on the top of the "To Do List" over and over and over and never move forward on it when all it required was one phone call. I just felt pulled back from going that direction. In my quiet moments I would pray that this would open up if it was meant to be.



When I started contacting Orchestra teachers at all the High Schools via email, I was given Sterling Keyes name and sent him the email. I found it interesting when I heard back from him that he was the department head at Orem High School and not the orchestra teacher but that he did forward my email to the him. I found it especially interesting that he read the email and he offered to sponsor the concert at the Orem High School. He said that "we'd like to help you with this dream." The fact that I called the school and asked for the orchestra teachers' name and school email and that my email went to him first, was a witness to me that my prayer was answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment