Saturday, April 17, 2010

Arranging music for ensembles




Now that I knew how many cellists I had, I needed to make sure I had the right amount of parts for each group. I also needed to re- arrange some of the music to fit the level of playing skill for the cellists in each group. Some can read treble, some cannot.

My husband and I have a program for our computer and keyboard for arranging music. We had 4 songs that we wanted to do from You Tube. I listened online to LOTS of music to find the sheet music arrangement that was closest to the music I listened to on You Tube. Then we would listen to the piece of music on you tube, I would play the piece as I heard it on my cello and Evan would put the notes into the computer. We did all we could and then, hired a wonderful and talented neighbor to help with the parts that were out of our league.



His name is Larry Blackburn and he got his masters in music from BYU. He is the most amazing organist and also play it for the Presbyterian Church. He also plays the organ and piano during our church service. He teaches at American Leadership Academy in Spanish Fork, Utah. If you want more info on Larry you can check out his website at
http://www.larryblackburnchurchorganisthelper.com

This was a lot harder than I thought it would be and there were days when we were so tired of this that we wanted to just bag it. I wish it was in my nature to quit when reason makes more sense to do it, but, that is not me. So we endured to the end and I KNOW it will be worth it. I want to thank Larry Blackburn for sharing his gifts with music with us. He was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment