Saturday, April 24, 2010

First Things First- Meeting with Sterling Keyes, Department Head Orem High School


To get this all going, I started by setting up a meeting with Sterling Keyes, the music department head at Orem High School. He is the man who offered to sponsor the concert for me. I met with him on March 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm. I found him to be a very positive and optimistic person. His students are blessed to have him as a person of influence in their lives at this age. We stood at the piano and I told him my story and showed him my presentation. I asked him alot of questions and received some great answers. He showed me the current stage at Orem High and then described how big the new one will be. I was overjoyed when he told me that 100 cellos would fit. That is how many I wanted initially, but didn't think their would be a place that would hold that many. They new school will be open by the end of the school year but no one can go in until the fire marshal approves it. As soon as people can go in it, I can hardly wait to see what the stage for this concert will look like. I have been trying to envision it for weeks. I needed a big screen for some video clips and discovered that the new auditorium has everything we need. We talked dates and looked at Calendars. He shared some of the things the school still needs. They have a piano that needs restored, posture chairs for students and an a desire for an organ. I was trying to think of how I could help using my concert as a tool to make the school a better place because we were there. I'll keep thinking on that. I left feeling like it was a very profitable meeting and I smiled all the way to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment