Friday, April 30, 2010

My Story: A dreamer in progress




I grew up in the small town of Winslow, Arizona. It is just off Route 66 and the hit band "The Eagles" made my town famous with their song "Take it Easy". The words to the song say, "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona. To this day, you can come to this corner in town and get your picture taken.


In Winslow, you could start playing a musical instrument in 5th grade. When I was in the fourth grade, a group of high school students brought their instruments to show all the 4th graders. We watched them take their instruments out of their cases and tighten their bows. As soon as I saw a cello, I was smitten. No other instrument existed for me after I saw it. I knew I had to play the cello. I went home and asked my parents. I started the cello the next year.

In Winslow, the Junior High was for 7th and 8th graders. The High School was 9th through 12th.


When I was in Junior High, there were 8 cello players. The first six were boys and then me and Debbie were in the back.


I remember being teased ruthlessly by the boys that girls were not suppose to play the cello. After weeks and weeks of this teasing, I determined in my head that I was going to pass up all those boys and show them. I was determined and so I did what any determined cello player would do, I practiced. ALOT! I am probably a rare person in that my parents never told me to practice once in all the years I played the cello. I just did it. I loved to practice. I loved the cello.

If you wanted to move up a chair in our orchestra, you could "challenge" the person in front of you. The teacher would select a section of music and both of you would play it in front of the class. Then the teacher would choose who they thought did the best. I would then challenge in class each boy in turn and by the end of 8th grade, I had passed every boy but one.




When I went to high school the next year, I was able to audition for a regional orchestra. All high school students can audition in their region and the top players are chosen to play in an amazing regional orchestra. Because of all the practicing I did in Jr. High to beat those boys, I actually made 4th chair in the regional orchestra that year. I still had one boy to beat though, and he was so good. It took me all year, but the last month of school, my 9th grade year, I challenged him and beat him. I hate to say it, but I'm gonna anyway. The picture of me playing my cello as first chair and him second chair made the year book. That was so cool. I later bought his cello. I still have that cello.


Well, here is where my dream tonight comes into play. All the cellists who made their regional orchestras were able to audition for the all state orchestra. I was able to audition and because I had practiced so much to try and beat James, I actually made 2nd chair in the all state orchestra. I was so excited.

When we arrived at Arizona State University where we would perform, we found out that the first and second chair cellists would be rehearsing the entire cello section. It was so amazing to be a part of such an amazing and talented group of cellists. The first chair cellist, he rehearsed the group and I was sent to listen and make recommendations.

It was during that rehearsal that I sat and listened and had major goosebumps. It was amazing to hear so many cellos playing together. It was so beautiful. I had never heard that before. It was in that moment, that I remember saying in my head, "wouldn't it be so awesome to have a concert where the entire stage was filled with just cellos. I'm gonna do that some day." I was 15 years old when I had that experience that inspired me.


Well, this year is my 30th year High School class reunion so I have been blessed to be reconnecting with friends from back home. During a conversation with an old friend, that dream to do an all cello concert was brought again to my attention. I thought about it for several weeks after our conversation and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I was drawn to it. It wouldn't go away. I realized I had to do this. For some reason it was just important for me to do this.

Someone recently asked me, why now? My response, why not? A cello dream may be insignificant as far as the things that really count in the world, but at one moment in time, a young girl had a dream, a dream that inspired her.

The opportunities that the cello provided me as a young girl are priceless. I learned self discipline. I had opportunities that I never would have had if I hadn't played it. I met amazing people and traveled to some amazing places.

Now I want to invite cello players around the age that I was and older, to participate with me in a celebration of the cello. I hope it will inspire them with their own dreams and also help others enjoy the diversity of this beautiful instrument. Our inspired dreams are worthy of our attention.

3 comments:

  1. Way cool! I love all of the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is a great story and a great blog. I think I may have to drive up and attend your concert. I have been intrigued since I started hearing you talk about it on facebook. This will be an amazing project. I just showed my daughter your blog and your project. (She's a music major at ASU)She thought it was awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I would love to come and see this event, I'm afraid I cannot. I remember many of the high school days with Janice and her dedication to this then. I have a little window of what this has taken for her to do and I am excited for her to be able to make this happen. All I can say is absolutely awesome!!! I hope to see some video if that is possible later. I can say I am lucky to have Janice as a freind. Even after all these years.

    ReplyDelete