Saturday, April 24, 2010

My meeting with schools







When I arrived at each school, I usually signed in at the office, some schools required name tags.





Then I would ask directions to the orchestra room. When it came close to time, I would make the teacher aware that I was there. The teacher would introduce me to the cellists and they would then follow me or me them to a practice room, hall way or another music room and I would then give them my presentation. I wanted so badly when I started this to have the teachers hear the presentation too, but learned that they couldn't leave that many students for that long so, only one teacher was able hear about this and it was because we did it at lunch. I need to figure out a way to let them know more.

When I met with the cellists, I first told them my name and that I was also a cellist. I then told them that I was going to do a concert next year where the entire stage was filled with just cellos. I could tell immediately in each group that the cello connection was awesome and that the stage filled with all cellos was intriguing. I got comments like, "it's about time someone made the cello center stage instead of just background."

Then I told them about me and my dream. I told them that when I was in 4th grade a group of students like them came to my elementary school and showed my class their instruments. I told that that as soon as I saw the cello, I was smitten. I always got a few comments from the group from those who had, had similar experiences. I also found some had started with other instruments and then switched over. Some I could tell were playing because their parents made them play something, others just did it nonchalantly. It was interesting to see who and why. I loved it.

Then I told them the story of me in Junior High School and challenging the boys in turn until I passed all of them. I showed them my year book where I was now first chair and sitting next to the boy that was the hardest to beat. The kids seemed to get the biggest kick out of that. It was funny to watch their reaction to that at some schools. Then I told them about making second chair in the all state orchestra and being able to help rehearse this amazing cello section. I told them that it was at that moment that I decided that it would be so awesome to do a concert where the entire stage was filled with just cellos. I told them that I gradated High School, went to college, got married, had a family and that all these years later, I felt inspired to do that concert. I told them that I had spend thousands of hours and dollars, getting this ready and now I was looking for cello players who wanted to share in this experience with me.

Then I showed them some videos that we are modeling the concert after. A few months ago, I told my husband that I really felt like we needed to get a lap top. I needed to be able to show the kids what I was seeing, it is what got me excited, and I felt like I needed to be able to show it to them. I wanted them to know that is was not your ordinary classical concert. We were going to have some classical, but the concert was to show the diversity of the cello and the fun creative side also.

Many of the ensembles we are doing are modeled after people who were like them, high school students who loved playing the cello, they found their own nitch and went professional. I wanted the kids to know that the concert was going to be fun, like a bunch a cellist getting together to have a blast playing. My husband bought me the laptop and it did help a lot. It served its purpose very well and I was grateful for the blessing of it.

I had the cellist that wanted to be in it fill out an information sheet with the name, address, phone number and email and if they wanted to be in the orchestra only or in an ensemble. I gave most of them audition papers with music and audition dates. I answered questions, most from students were is there any cost and how much time is it going to take.

Every school I left, the kids were excited. It was such a neat feeling to be accepted by a younger group of cellists and I was so thrilled that most caught my vision for this concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment